Electrical devices, adapters and converters

If you bring anything that needs electricity (e.g. hair dryers, curling irons, battery chargers, etc.), you may need to bring a voltage converter as well as an adapter. Some electrical items will run on either 110 or 220 volts, so check the voltage rating of your device. If it is a dual voltage device then you will only need a plug adapter so that you can plug it into the wall socket. If it is rated for only 110 volts you will need both a converter to change to the correct voltage and an adapter.

The plug for Huconverter and adapterngarian outlets uses two round prongs instead of two flat blades—other European countries may use a different shape. Often travel voltage converters come in a set with many assorted shapes of adapters. We strongly recommend that you get them in the States before coming, since they are difficult to find here. These are generally available at a good travel store.

travel converter setMany people use a phone as their alarm clock now, but in case you prefer a clock: a battery powered alarm clock is recommended since most plug-in electric clocks use the cycle to keep time. U.S. clocks usually will not keep the proper time because the electricity in Europe is 50 cycle instead of 60 cycle. Travel voltage converters do not change the cycle, only the voltage.

If you use electric hair clippers you should not bring them from the US unless you have the battery-powered type. The US ones will not work properly in Europe since the electricity’s cycle effects the stroke length. Clippers are readily available in the stores here.